Tidepool Developer Portal
This is Tidepool’s developer microsite. If you are looking for our company web site or want to learn more about our products, please visit tidepool.org.
Tidepool is building a cloud-based platform and applications that help reduce the burden of managing Type 1 diabetes. We are a nonprofit organization doing everything in the open.
About this Developer Microsite
The intended audience for this microsite is software developers, but others may also find it valuable. Here are some useful links:
- All of our source code on GitHub. Some of the more commonly requested repos are:
- All of our user interface designs:
- All of our technical documentation (a work in progress!):
- Project Management references, including:
A Note about Contributing to Tidepool’s Source Code
Since our founding in 2013, Tidepool has had dozens of volunteer contributors to our efforts. Contributions have come in many forms, including source code, user interface designs, testing, legal and product management.
Because we are an FDA registered entity, any contributions we take from you will be tested thoroughly as part of our Quality System. Depending on our current development priorities, it could be some time before your contribution is tested and made available publicly as part of Tidepool.
We want to be transparent about this, because while we would love to have you as a contributor, we also don’t want you to get frustrated or feel like you’ve wasted valuable time and effort.
Getting Started as a Contributor
If you think you think you’d like to contribute designs, code, or or anything else back to the project, please read our Volunteer/Contributor License Agreement (VCLA) on our Contributors page. This agreement protects you and Tidepool and does not take away any rights that you have to your work.
Depending on what kind of work you are trying to do, you may wish to engage with our source code in different ways:
- Tidepool Uploader: If you’d like to help add device support to the Tidepool Uploader, check out the Tidepool Uploader repository. (You can also install the production Tidepool Uploader from our GitHub Releases).
- Tidepool for web: You may wish to build Tidepool for web (codename ‘Blip’), locally but still run against our hosted back-end services. If so, check out the README in the blip repository. (Of course you can also just run the production Tidepool for web at app.tidepool.org).
- Tidepool Platform: If you want to run the entire platform locally, check out the instructions in our tools repository. This will get you running our environment locally using Docker.
- Your Applications: You may wish create your own application that accesses our hosted back-end services (the Tidepool Platform). If it’s a web app, you may wish to look at Tidepool for web. If it’s a mobile app, check out Tidepool Mobile in the Nutshell or Urchin for Android or Urchin for iOS. Note that Blip Notes and Nutshell are being retired. Both will be replaced by Tidepool Mobile.
- Please don’t develop your app against our production environment without talking to us. Instead, please use our integration environment, found at int-app.tidepool.org and int-api.tidepool.org.
- Read our data model documentation to understand what medical data we ingest and how it’s organized.
- These comments show some documentation for our data APIs.
We are currently using Slack for communication with the open source community. Join us at tidepoolorg.slack.com. We are very grateful to community members who have been so generous with their time supporting other members.
Feel free to drop a note to email@example.com, and it will find the right recipient quickly.
Thank you for your support.